Monday, February 10, 2014

DAY 4: AID and the belief that we are doing the right thing

"I came to the understanding that most of those men believed they were doing the right thing" (John Perkin, 2004)

Over the past couple of weeks I have been reading John Perkin's book Confessions of an Economic Hitman and I am surprise to find a brutal transparency about the manoeuvrs of the system that isn't so out there. I was not totally amazed with the reality of the international system when I read the paragraphs on the motivations behind aid but I noticed within me a sense of relief  based on "it is OK to tell the truth", and "it is OK to question the system",  and "there is something fishy in all of this", and "I don't have to agree with that which is against the principles of equality and justice", and that "there must exist another way for countries and people to coexist on this planet".
According to John's conclusion, at some point in his career his economic projections were being taken seriously by people in/with power, not so much due to his expertise but thanks to his confidence, his title and successes in the game. Is it not scary to know that our world is being led by individuals that trust more in a title rather than the common-sensical analysis of the consequences of a decision? Is it not ridiculous that we come to the conclusion that we are always and constantly desiring to trust in someone who seems to be more knowledgeable and experienced than us? And finally, have we ever really considered that people in power and the people that advise those in power DO LIE.
His confession was clear: "In truth, my expertise was extremely limited, but what I lacked in training and knowledge I made up for in audacity". By definition, audacity is boldness or daring, especially with confident or arrogant disregard for personal safety, and I can relate to my own idea of the type of people I would trust, which often fits the image of external confidence, courage and apparent fearlessness. It is not a coincidence that many heads of government and CEOs represent such personality, because those are the people that we tend to look out for answers - once again, we trust in certain people out of complete brainwashing, perception of our own powerlessness and self-irresponsibility. In the end, the consequence of allowing a very few minority to decide for the rest is faced by all of us, individually and collectively, manifested in our dysfunctional lives and world.

The mental control exists to avoid seeing that which is just in front of our eyes. I speak for myself, who used to believe that things were alright because my immediate reality was as good as it could be and I was too busy dealing with self-judgments and wanting to fit in. By the time this book was published I was on my third year of International Relations and I was far from even being curious about the harsh reality behind the UN Millennium Development Goals - I was more enthusiastic about the personal reward of "doing the right thing" rather than asking myself "why such goals need to exist in first place?" - "how disillusioned must the system be that postpones the basic human needs for a period of 10 years, while at the same time the corporatism manages to reach yearly profits that all together could well eradicate world poverty completely?". This book unveils some of the reasons why the money gets accumulated in one side of the world and how aid is just another business that keeps the system running as it is.
It is a matter of changing our priorities and see what is here, as within so without. The same with this blog: it took me almost one year to embrace my process of becoming a diplomat and correcting myself as a diplomat, inside and in my actions/decisions.

For those that have read this book already, I wonder which points opened up within you and what is that you are doing in your own process to deal with it, both at a personal and professional levels. Also, how can we change the definition of trust and audacity in this world in order to manifest an agreement among the Humanity for us to do the "right thing", this time being that which is the best for All.

Illustration: Global Research, Predatory Capitalism and the Rise of the “Global Corporatocracy”. The Lifestyles of an “Economic Hit Man”

0 comentários:

Post a Comment